Skip to Content

Speak with a Los Angeles Unpaid Wage Lawyer About Your Rights

As an employee in California, you have the right to be paid for all hours you work for your employer. Your employer must pay you at least the minimum wage—and if it doesn’t, you have the right to file a claim for just compensation. But you need to know where to file your claim, and you also need to know how much you are entitled to recover. As a result, it is important to have an experienced Los Angeles unpaid wage lawyer on your side.

At Attorneys for Employees (AFE), we represent employees in minimum wage violation cases under local, state, and federal law. If you have been wrongfully denied the minimum wage for your job, we can fight to hold your employer accountable. Our lawyers have decades of experience, and we are committed to making sure employees receive the full compensation they deserve.

Your Rights As an Employee in California

As an employee in California, your rights depend on your occupation, where you work and certain other factors. Most employees in California are entitled to the state’s minimum wage, which was $15.50 as of January 1, 2023, and increased to $16.00 on January 1, 2024.

But there are some exceptions. For example, some counties have enacted higher minimum wages—and if you work in one of these counties, you are entitled to the county’s minimum wage. In the Los Angeles area, the local minimum wages are:

  • Los Angeles: $16.78
  • Los Angeles County (Unincorporated): $16.90

There are also exceptions that can lower your minimum wage. For example, if your job is “exempt” from California’s minimum wage law, then the federal minimum wage may apply. The federal minimum wage remains at $7.25 per hour for most workers, while tipped workers must receive at least $2.13 per hour plus enough tips to reach at least $7.25 per hour. Workers in California who may only be entitled to the federal minimum wage include (but are not limited to) outside salespeople, employees of certain nonprofit organizations, and workers who are family members of their employers.

Asserting Your Right to the Local, State, or Federal Minimum Wage in California

What if you have been denied the minimum wage to which you are legally entitled? Depending on the circumstances, you may need to file a claim with the California Division of Labor Standards Enforcement or the U.S. Department of Labor’s Wage and Hour Division, or it may be in your best interests to file a lawsuit in court. A Los Angeles unpaid wage lawyer at AFE can help you decide how to move forward, and then your lawyer can fight for just compensation on your behalf.

Are You Entitled to Additional Wages? Find Out Today

Do you have a claim for a minimum wage violation in California? If so, how much are you entitled to recover? To find out from an experienced Los Angeles unpaid wage lawyer at AFE, please call 310-601-1330 or request a confidential consultation online today.